These grain-free tahini cookies are the perfect treat, spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon and topped with sea salt, crushed pistachios and dried rose petals. Delicately sweetened with maple syrup, these cookies have a savory note from the tahini and sea salt flakes. Plus, they only take about 10 minutes to throw together!
Enjoy them as an afternoon treat or have one along with your morning brew. Personally, I don’t like anything too sweet, so 1/3 cup of maple syrup was perfect for me, but if you prefer more sweetness, use 1/2 a cup. You can also use standard sugar if you don’t have any maple syrup on hand. And, feel free to swap out the toppings for anything you like—sesame seeds, pecans or dried cranberries.
Grain-Free Tahini Cookies
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free
Makes: 16-20 cookies | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10-13 minutes
2 cups almond flour or sub any all-purpose flour of choice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup tahini
1/2 cup olive or coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped for garnish
Optional: a few dried rose buds for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the tahini, oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is free of lumps.
3. Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough (about 2 tablespoons) and roll them between your palms to form balls. Place each ball on the baking sheet, leaving a couple inches around each (you may have to cook two batches).
4. Using your index, middle and ring finger, push down on the dough balls to flatten them, leaving three divots from your fingers.
5. Sprinkle each cookie with chopped pistachios, sea salt and optional rose buds for garnish.
6. Cook for 10-13 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool and firm up (about 10 minutes).