Show Me Love, Not Diets

I’ve said it time and time again, and I can’t say it enough: DIETS DO NOT WORK! 

I know this because I have been on every diet there is (literally!) and, as science shows, extreme deprivation ends up causing unwanted backlash.

So, how do you reach your health goals? The first thing you must do is start loving your body right now, as you are. It makes the process so much easier. Love this beautiful body you have that takes you where you need to go. 

Next, change your mentality on dieting. Think of the health you want and focus on how to get there without depriving yourself and drastically changing your life. Everything in moderation.

Below are 5 simple ways to achieve your health goals by loving your body.

1. Follow the 80/20 rule.

Go with the 80/20 rule. How it works: 80% of the time eat healthy and as alkaline as possible (limiting acidic foods like coffee, alcohol, dairy and meat) and the other 20%, let yourself be more free.

2. Stay hydrated.

Start off your day with a detoxifying glass of warm water and lemon. This helps create an alkaline base to your day, neutralizes toxins and jump-starts your digestive process by producing more enzymes.

3. Have mindful meals.

Instead of focusing on what you can’t have, focus on quality foods that nourish your body. Start off the day with a hearty breakfast, then have a good sized lunch, and end the day with a lighter dinner, such as soup. 

Start by improving only one meal a day. Easy right? Some ideas: make it vegetarian, portion controlled or eliminate fried food (swap out greasy french fries for sweet potato roasted french fries, for example.)


4. Get moving.

Make a point to exercise at least 3 times a week. If you don’t exercise at all currently, start small and slow — it will make a difference. Incorporate more movement into your life outside of the gym, as well. Take the stairs and don’t wait for the closest parking spot. Change your mindset.

5. Throw out the scale.

That’s right, throw that baby away. Why let a little red needle dictate your mood? You can tell if you are losing weight without a scale. You know if your clothes are getting tighter or looser. And, most importantly, you know how you feel. If you feel great, trust yourself.