The ceremony of smudging with dried sage has been a tool for spiritual cleansing since ancient times. This fragrant ritual is believed to help remove and purify negative energies. Below is more info on when to use this technique, plus a simple step-by-step smudge ritual you can perform anywhere.
7 Occasions to Smudge
1. When moving into a new home
2. In a room where negative energy was created by arguments, fights or illness
3. To cleanse antiques, used or pre-owned objects
4. To clear your own and/or someone else’s energy
5. To cleanse and purify crystals
6. To keep your workplace harmonious, especially after stressful assignments
7. When renting or purchasing a new place to start your own business
The 4 Step Smudging Ritual
YOU WILL NEED:
a bundle of dried sage
a fireproof plate or bowl (many like to use abalone shells)
a lighter or match
1. Prepare your bundle of dried sage and your fireproof plate or bowl. Go into the space, or before the object or person you plan on cleansing.
2. Set your intention and create an affirmation if you wish. For example “May negative energies be transformed into light, love and happiness.”
3. As you light the dried sage, repeat your affirmation or prayer, and then either slowly walk around the room, move it around a person, crystal or object or use a feather to gently guide the smoke in your desired direction.
4. When this is complete, take a moment to close your eyes, and feel the shift of the energies.